Monday, November 29, 2010

Integrating technology in the classroom!

Dear Parents,
My name is Javier Rodriguez and your son/daughter is currently enrolled in my Advanced Placement Physics class this semester. I am looking forward to an exciting and productive year. AP Physics is a very demanding course and it is my goal to provide my students with an educationally challenging, yet fun filled learning experience. The purpose of this letter is to introduce myself, but inform the Parent-Teacher Association of my expectations for the 2010-2011 school years. Here at National High School, we are far below the state and district standards involving the use of instructional technology in the classroom. Thus, it is my duty, as chair of the Faculty Technology Committee (FTC), to ask the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) to work closely with me to help integrate technology into the curriculum. The FTC and I are proud to have created a solution that will help meet our state and district standards. We hope to unite the National High School Community and fundraise $70,000 necessary to update our classroom’s technology. Unfortunately, due to state and district cutbacks we need to raise the money ourselves.


Many of you have contacted me with the same concerns. As parents, it is completely understandable to be concerned about your child’s education. It has been a re-occurring concern that by introducing your child to technology in my classroom I am allowing them to focus their learning time on the computer, were distractions are possible. Yes, we have found some students using the computers for recreational use rather than educational use, but I have made multiple changes in the program, (set up firewalls, anti-hacking, and anti-viruses)to try and keep the focus on the education of the student rather than entertainment. I try to keep a close watch on my students to ensure the retention and progress of the course work.

Although I am trying to integrate technology in the system, there is still a focus on traditional educational methods known as: directed instruction and constructivists learning.  
I.      Directed Instruction:
·         Also known as “Objectivism.”
·         “Based off of behaviorists learning theory and the information processing branch of cognitive learning theories.”  (Roblyer& Doering,2010p. 34)
II.    Constructivists Learning
·         Also known as “inquiry-based learning.”
·         “Constructivist methods are designed to make leaning more visual and allow students more flexibility in how they learn and demonstrate competence.” (Roblyer & Doering, 2010 p. 3)
·         Constructivists learning theories:
o   “Teachers feel that hand’s on
I pride myself in helping your child reach his/her full potential. If you could please help me and the FTC in any way possible please do not hesitate to contact me at 123-456-7890 x 4303 or javier.rodriguez@nationalhighschool.k12.wi.us if you have any questions or concerns during the year.
Thank you,
Javier Rodriguez

Reference List
1.) (M.D. Roblyer and Aaron H, Fifth Edition 2010)



DISCLAIMER: This is a blog is an assignment for an educational technology course at National University. It is not a real fundraising blog.